zaterdag 4 februari 2017

Working on new mobile features

The timer feature is available on the Project Hours web site and it must be added to the project hours mobile apps. At the same time I want to make the mobile apps multilingual. And finally, for the next release I want to add user license info and a privacy policy.

The multilingual feature is finished, most time went into sorting out how to deal with localization for Windows Universal Apps, Microsoft renamed the resource file extension for UWP apps from .RESX to RESW. In itself not a problem but I want to keep all translations for the three platforms in one place and Xamarin still uses RESX for iOS and Android. Eventually I ended up with a pre build batch file that copies the RESX to a RESW file before building the UWP application.
More info: Universal Windows App Localization


Before I can start building the timer feature in Xamarin, I will have to extend the REST interface that is used by the mobile apps so that it supports creating, pausing, stopping and saving timers. Currently I am working on the REST interface. I realized that mobile apps with timers will generate a lot of REST service calls, for instance to get progress on running timers, so the first thing I did was adding some caching to store data so calls to the SQL database are minimized. Usernames, passwords and active timers will be cached for a couple of hours in order to speed things up. I am using the good old System.Web.Caching.Cache that has been around for years in .NET

To be continued...





Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten